Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Kittens!


For our latest homeschooling adventure, we've been reading about cats this week. Last weekend at the District Campout, a teenage girl from another branch mentioned that they have kittens that needed homes soon. That got me to thinking...our hamster isn't much of a pet. We don't really interact with him much. We need something to love. So, I talked it up to Russ, and...the rest is history.

Today we got kittens: Cinnamon and Sugar. The reddish one (Cinnamon) is the runt of the litter, but very friendly. He is so tiny!













The whiter one (Sugar) is bigger, and already loves the scratching post.

They are soo cute, and the kids love them. When we visited them yesterday, and Lizzie first saw them, she said "Oooooo! Ooooo!" That's what she always does when she sees a small fuzzy thing that she wants to hug. Usually it is just a stuffed animal. She must hug every stuffed animal she sees. But, she's been very good with the kittens, not grabbing them or anything. She leans way over to see them closer and holds her hand out, even makes patting motions, but doesn't seem to actually want to touch them just yet. Ethan likes to hold them, of course. But Matthew is the one that is absolutely in love with them. Actually, we sort of got them with him in mind, as a type of therapy for him. Something for him to cuddle and hold, have quiet time with and just enjoy the peacefulness of petting them. He is very protective of them.

I'll get some pictures of the kids holding them tomorrow. I need to go to bed. Yay, we have kittens! We love cats and dogs, but cats are a little easier to take care of, so... :)) More difficult than a hamster, but more lovable, too.

5 comments:

Nikki said...

They're super cute. Good luck with the potty training and such. (Do you have to potty train kittens? I've never heard anyone complain about it, so it must not be too bad.)

Tynel Jarnagin said...

What cute kitties! Adam does not like cats, so that will never happen at my house. I grew up with cats though, so I love them! I'm glad Matthew loves them! It's amazing what a pet does for kids!

Tynel Jarnagin said...

Ok, I took Emma to eat at "Taco Bueno" today for lunch and her kids meal came with Cinnamon chips. Basically tortilla chips covered with Cinnamon and Sugar and all I could think about was your two cute kittens! Did I tell you before, I think those names are adorable!

Mary said...

So cute. Like I need to tell you that. You're kids are so lucky to have cool parents that allow pets.

Charly said...

Super cute kitties!!! Good luck with them!