Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Mississippi Madness

So, I haven't posted in a couple of weeks, and for anyone who is wondering why, it's because we are busy going mad in a motel in Mississippi. Russ had an airspace class to attend here at Keesler AFB in Biloxi, and at the last minute we decided to come with him. After all, that's part of the beauty of homeschooling--freedom to roam.

We have had fun playing on the beach, although not in the water, which is just too cold since it IS December. What were we thinking? Anyway, this week is better than last, since we've been able to meet and talk to actual people. We went to Russ' instructor's house (Randy Abernathy) for a BBQ and enjoyed being out in a more woodsy neighborhood. Randy has a four-wheeler and I drove the kids around his property. He has about 2-3 acres I think. We also met his lady friend, Charlene, and her son Seth who is 13. We hung out with her yesterday for most of the day. She's about my mom's age, and she is really nice. Southern hospitality at it's best :) She let the kids play with her kittens, Seth's toys and even help her decorate her Christmas tree. She even watched Lizzie for an hour or so while I napped on her couch.

Today we plan to go to Beauvoir, the Jefferson Davis home (President of the Confederacy), which is just a mile down the road from us. We are staying at a Holiday Inn on Beach Blvd. The beach is literally just across the street from us, and we can see it from our hotel room. There is a lot of damage and construction here, still 3 years after Hurricane Katrina. Some buildings and attractions are entirely gone. There is a children's museum here, about 4 miles away, where we plan to spend a few hours today. It is pretty fun, and has an awesome group of tree forts outside. I'll upload some pictures later.

Today (Wed. 10 Dec) is our last full day, and tomorrow Russ finishes by 1:00 p.m. and we head out. We'll go through New Orleans and then get home by Saturday night. We have to be back to church Sunday morning so we can say goodbye to our friends Sven and Chelsea Lundberg (he is also our branch president and she is my visiting teacher). They are going on vacation and then he deploys for 4 months to Honduras while she goes home to Arizona. Then they PCS to North Carolina. They are such great people, so fun to be with and certainly a staple to our branch. We'll be sad to see them go. We also just said goodbye to Brandon and Julianne Mackay after Thanksgiving, about whom I could say all the same things. Our boys played together all the time. We're losing everybody! I guess that's life in the military, but in some ways you never get used to it. I just think that I will see all my friends again sometime, I just never know when or where. Keeps things interesting. Plus, now I can always check blogs and see what everybody's up to.

Hope everyone is enjoying their holiday season. In the meantime, I smell a dirty diaper!!!

1 comment:

Charly said...

That's so fun that y'all got to tag along!