We're going to try Geocaching, finally! I got a Garmin eTrex Venture (handheld gps especially designed for geocaching), and loaded up a bunch of sites in Del Rio and San Antonio, and all along the way from here to there. So, I think for our date tonight, Russ and I will try it out. Then we can do it with the kids tomorrow.
Matthew has been in the Laurel Ridge Treatment Center in San Antonio for 3 weeks now. We get to take him out for a few hours on a pass tomorrow, so we'll go have lunch at Pizza Hut and then go do some geocaching.
I haven't posted anything for quite awhile--since May 11th. Things were just too crazy, and besides, what do you say? My child is in a psychiatric hospital? Well, there it is. We think he might be bipolar, and he really needed to be on some meds to help control it. The earliest appointment we could get was mid-July, and that just wasn't going to cut it. Our only other option was to put him in the hospital right away. Luckily our insurance (TriCare Prime) pays for it all, or there's no way we could do it. Acute care was something like $1300/day and even the extended living facilities where he is now is $650/day. They have him on some meds now, which a psychiatrist adjusts as they observe him. Matt goes to summer school there, they swim on Tues, Thurs and Sat. We call him every night. He seems to be doing better each week. Tomorrow we'll drive out there (3.5 hour drive) for a weekly family therapy session with him, and then we get to take him out.
At first Ethan didn't really miss him. But, after 2.5 weeks, he started saying he missed Matthew and wanted him home. We don't know how long he'll be there, but it looks like it could be two months. He needs to be stabilized on his meds and capable of returning home and assimilating back into the family appropriately. He was getting more agitated, irritable and aggressive, making more threats and acting out physically (like destroying property). We're hoping not to have to deal with that when he returns.
We have applied for humanitarian reassignment so that we can be closer to facilities/medical care that our family needs. We expect to move by the end of the summer, probably to Shreveport, LA. That is where Barksdale AFB is,and where Russ will once again fly the B-52.
Okay, now we're going on our date.
Friday, June 19, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
We love you, hope everything is getting better! Enjoy your date, everyone I know that's tried geocaching loves it.
Elaine will be sad you guys aren't going to Minot. I guess she'll forgive you though. Could they send you to Randolph for Russ to instruct at PIT or are you not interested in that?
We are also learning about balancing medicines with Mara's diabetes.
Let us know if there is anything we can do. I'm in Shreveport now.
You guys will be in my prayers. If you ever want to chat, I could use some adult conversations. Other than my neighbor, I don't get much of that these days. If you have my cell number, it's still the same (an "859" number). It's on Facebook too, I think. Anyway, take care! I hope that everything goes smoothly when you acclimate Matt back into life at home. Hugs!!
How is Matt dealing with the separation? I wish my boys were there to play with Ethan while he is alone...and I really hope you get an assignment with good support for your family close by.
I think Randolph would be great because they have everything we need in San Antonio. But, we're still waiting to find out.
As for the geocaching, Matt didn't like it so much. Maybe I'll write another post about that. :) Thanks for your prayers, everyone--we really need them.
You and your family are in our prayers. I can't imagine the difficulty of having to be separated like that. I hope it helps though!!! Let us all know where you'll be moving...of course I think San Antonio would be great!
Hey guys,
I hope all goes well. Tell Matt he is in our prayers.
-Cory
We love you too! Sorry I didn't catch up on your blog sooner. Keep us updated!
Have you talked with Nicia about geocaching? she's a huge nerd too. :)
Post a Comment